Student card

A SAMOK student card is a membership card for the student union mentioned on the card, a union that is a member of the national union University of Applied Sciences Students SAMOK. An individual student joins the student union at their university of applied sciences (UAS), and the student union is in its turn a member of SAMOK. Hence, the student card is not a SAMOK membership card.

The SAMOK student card is proof that you are a university of applied sciences (UAS) student and a member of a specific UAS student union. There are blue and green student cards, as well as digital versions of these. SAMOK student card holders are entitled to student discounts negotiated for such card holders. The discounts and benefits are dependent on the type of card (blue or green). For instance, only holders of the blue card are eligible for the VR train travel discounts and the Kela meal subsidy.

Card types and validity

The blue card is for students studying for a UAS first-cycle (Bachelor’s) degree or for a UAS second-cycle (Master’s) degree. The student must fulfil all eligibility criteria to be entitled to the card. Also exchange students can apply the blue card.

The green card is for all other students who are members of the student union at the university of applied sciences.

The sticker on the student card indicates its validity. The sticker is an indicator that the student has paid the student union membership fee. The sticker is not a product sold separately. In addition to paying the membership fee, the student must also meet all relevant criteria.

Eligibility criteria for the student card:

You are eligible for a student card, if you meet all of the following criteria:

1) You are enrolled at a UAS and studying for a UAS first or second cycle degree.
2) You are enrolled as present for the academic year/term.
3) You become a member of your UAS student union.

Replacing your student card
Since the student card is an indicator of your membership of a specific UAS student union, you will need to get a new card from your new student union if the university of applied sciences where you study changes. If you change your programme within the same UAS, the student union remains the same and you do not need to replace the card, unless the student union requires it.

When your name changes, we recommend that you renew your student card in accordance with the recommendations from your student union.

Issuing student cards and continued validity
The student union may grant/deliver student cards only to persons who are eligible for it, that is, to individuals who are members of the student union in question. Furthermore, the member must meet all eligibility criteria in order to have the right to a SAMOK student card. The student may have a year or term sticker for those terms for which they have paid the student union membership fee and meet all criteria.

The student is accountable for providing correct information. Misuse of the card is a punishable offence.

Validity of the stickers for the student card
The term stickers are valid for a defined period. The sticker for the autumn term is valid until the end of the following January (e.g. the autumn sticker for 2016 is valid until the end of January 2017), a year sticker is valid until the end of September the latter year (e.g. the sticker for 2016-17 is valid until the end of September 2017). The sticker for the spring term is valid until the end of September (e.g. the spring sticker 2017 is valid until the end of September 2017).

Entry into force and validity
These student card instructions enter into force for the academic year 2016-2017 and are valid until further notice.